19th Sunday in Ordinary Time


Perpetual Novena to Our Lady of Knock.
The National Public Novena takes place each year at Knock Shrine from the 14th to the 22nd of August. Prayer leaflets may be had from the Shrine Office. Two sessions are held daily, namely at 3:00 pm and 8:30 pm except on Wednesday 15th and Sunday 19th, when ceremonies commence with anointing of the sick at 2:30 pm. After Concelebrated Mass in the Basilica there is a Procession to the Apparition Gable. A procession of the Blessed Sacrament is held in the afternoon and the beautiful candlelight procession takes place at night. For those who cannot be present the Novena may be made at home or in the local Church. This gives them a share in the Masses and prayers being offered each day at the Shrine.
Prayer to Our Lady of Knock
Our Lady of Knock, Queen of Ireland, you gave hope to your people in a time of distress, and comfort them in sorrow. You have inspired countless pilgrims to pray with confidence to your divine Son, remembering His promise, “Ask and you shall receive, seek and you shall find”. Help me to remember that we are all pilgrims on the road to heaven. Fill me with love and concern for my brothers and sisters in Christ, especially those who live with me. Comfort me when I am sick, lonely or depressed. Teach me how to take part ever more reverently in the Holy Mass. Give me a greater love of Jesus in the Blessed Sacrament. Pray for me now, and at the hour of my death. Amen.



Olympic Gold Medalist
When Katie Taylor’s hand was held aloft as Olympic champion in the Excel Arena in London on Thursday evening, it was one of those sublime moments in sport that won’t be forgotten.
The jubilant scenes around the country and the huge TV audience which watched her fights in London illustrate how her achievement has touched even those with only a casual interest in sport. It has been the fulfilment of a sporting dream for Taylor as well as the Irish sporting public.
All the years of anonymous practice, of lonely fights in obscure places, of struggling for recognition in a sport that barely existed, all the prayers that they shared: it had all led to her historic victory.
“My dad said if I did go a couple of points down just stay calm. I just had to stick to the game plan. It was great to pick up the two points but at the end I didn’t know what way the score line went. It was a great last round.”
“Because I trained so hard since I was 10 or 11 years of age,” was how Taylor accounted for this performance. “And I serve an amazing God and without Him I wouldn’t be sitting with this medal around my neck. I am there but for the grace of God. I serve Him. I am nothing without Him.”
Following her victory , a whole generation of Irish youngsters will be inspired to take up sport. Katie’s shinning example is already laying the foundation for the next generation of Irish Olympians.
One of the mottoes of London 2012 has been “Inspire a Generation”.
Katie Taylor has done that and more.

No comments:

Post a Comment